|Active Ingredient||Sildenafil Citrate|
|Starts In||30 minutes to 1 hour|
|Lasts Long||4 hours|
How does Silagra 100 mg work
Silagra 100 mg contains Sildenafil Citrate, which belongs to a class of medications known as PDE 5 (Phosphodiesterase Type 5) inhibitors. It works by blocking the action of the enzyme PDE 5 and improves blood circulation throughout the body, including the penis.
Due to the enzyme PDE 5, the arteries get constricted, and blood cannot flow easily to the penis. As a result, it becomes difficult to achieve or maintain an erection. Sildenafil Citrate present in Silagra blocks the action of PDE 5 and allows blood to flow easily to the penis. It prevents PDE 5 from destroying cGMP (cyclic guanosine monophosphate) and enables the contraction and dilation of blood vessels. As cGMP is produced, blood flows easily to the penis. This creates pressure in the penis leading to an erection.
Erectile Dysfunction (ED) – also known as impotence, makes a man unable to achieve or sustain an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse. It occurs due to a decreased blood flow to the penis, which is caused by physical and psychological factors.
A single tablet of Silagra 100 mg is recommended to be taken in one day. Do not consume more than one tablet in 24 hours. Silagra can be taken with or without food. However, it works best when taken on an empty stomach. It is recommended to take this pill one hour before sexual intercourse. The effects of this medicine can be experienced within the first hour of its consumption. The effects typically last for 4 hours. However, this may vary from person to person. If you don’t suffer from erectile dysfunction, do not consume this tablet unless advised by your physician.
This medicine is taken when required. Therefore, you’re less likely to miss a dose.
Overdosing can lead to various side effects. If an overdose is suspected, seek medical help immediately.
Silagra 100 mg may not suit you if you suffer from any medical condition. Before you take this medicine, let your doctor know:
- If you are allergic to Sildenafil Citrate or any other medications.
- If you have a history of stroke, congestive heart failure, etc.
- If you suffer from blood cell problems such as sickle cell anemia, leukemia, etc.
- If you suffer from kidney or liver disease.
- If you have a physical deformity of the penis or Peyronie’s.
- If you have uncontrolled blood pressure.
- If you suffer from conditions such as diabetes, high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc.
- If you have a rare inherited eye condition such as retinitis pigmentosa.
- If you take nitrates for chest pain.
- If you suffer from epilepsy or seizures.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you suffer from ischemic heart disease (also known as coronary artery disease).
- If you are an alcoholic or have a history of substance abuse.
If you suffer from any medical conditions not listed here, let your doctor know about them. Discuss your medical history in detail with the doctor.
As with any other medication, there are certain side effects that can occur while taking Silagra 100 mg tablet. Most of these side effects are temporary and go away after some time.
Some common side effects include:
- Visual disturbances
- Painful urination
- Nasal congestion
- Tingling in arms and feet
- Back pain
- Some rare side effects include:
- A prolonged and painful erection of more than 4 hours (a condition known as priapism)
- Sudden vision loss in one or both eyes (known as NAION)
- Irregular heartbeat
- Trouble breathing
The above list shouldn’t be seen as a complete guide to side effects. If you experience any other side effects of the medication, report it to the doctor.
If you take prescription or non-prescription drugs, vitamins, and herbal supplements, let your doctor know about them. Certain medications can interact with Silagra 100 mg and alter how it works.
- Imatinib Mesylate
- Other medicines for ED
- This isn’t a complete list of potential drug interactions. Discuss possible drug interactions with your doctor before starting this medicine.
Interaction with alcohol
Alcohol increases the risk of adverse side effects and reduces the chances of getting an erection. Avoid consuming alcohol along with this medication.
Interaction with grapefruit juice
Grapefruit juice raises the levels of Silagra in the body and delays the time it takes for the medication to work. Therefore, it should not be consumed while taking this medication.
- Keep it out of the reach of children and pets.
- Keep the pills away from direct heat, moisture, and sunlight.
- Do not consume the pills past their expiration date.
- Keep the pills in a cool and dry place in an airtight container.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. What is Silagra 100 used for?
Ans. Silagra 100 tablet is used to treat erectile dysfunction (ED, also known as impotence). It works by increasing blood flow to the penis, which helps to achieve and sustain an erection.
Q. How to take Silagra 100 mg?
Ans. Silagra 100 mg is meant to be taken orally with or without food. For best results, take it on an empty stomach. A single tablet can be taken with water an hour before sexual activity.
Q. Is Silagra the same as Viagra?
Ans. Silagra and Viagra both contain the same active ingredient – Sildenafil Citrate. Both drugs work in a similar manner. However, Silagra being the generic version of the drug costs less than Viagra.
Q. How long does Silagra last?
Ans. The effects of Silagra last for 4 hours. It can take 30 minutes to 1 hour to experience the positive results of this medication. You need to be sexually stimulated for this pill to work properly.
- Fink HA, Mac Donald R, Rutks IR, Nelson DB, Wilt TJ. Sildenafil for male erectile dysfunction: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med. 2002 Jun 24;162(12):1349-60. doi: 10.1001/archinte.162.12.1349. PMID: 12076233. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/211714
- Loran OB, Ströberg P, Lee SW, Park NC, Kim SW, Tseng LJ, Collins S, Stecher VJ. Sildenafil citrate 100 mg starting dose in men with erectile dysfunction in an international, double-blind, placebo-controlled study: effect on the sexual experience and reducing feelings of anxiety about the next intercourse attempt. J Sex Med. 2009 Oct;6(10):2826-35. doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2009.01428.x. PMID: 19817982. https://www.jsm.jsexmed.org/article/S1743-6095(15)32273-6/fulltext
- Smith BP, Babos M. Sildenafil. [Updated 2022 May 3]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK558978/
- Galiè N, Ghofrani HA, Torbicki A, Barst RJ, Rubin LJ, Badesch D, Fleming T, Parpia T, Burgess G, Branzi A, Grimminger F, Kurzyna M, Simonneau G; Sildenafil Use in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (SUPER) Study Group. Sildenafil citrate therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension. N Engl J Med. 2005 Nov 17;353(20):2148-57. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa050010. Erratum in: N Engl J Med. 2006 Jun 1;354(22):2400-1. PMID: 16291984. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa050010
- Sofikitis N, Kaltsas A, Dimitriadis F, Rassweiler J, Grivas N, Zachariou A, Kaponis A, Tsounapi P, Paterakis N, Karagiannis A, Skouros S, Giannakis I, Champilomatis I, Paschopoulos M, Daphnis D, Giakoumakis I, R Gabales M, M Chua JB, Lantin Iii PL, Mamoulakis C, Takenaka A. The Effect of PDE5 Inhibitors on the Male Reproductive Tract. Curr Pharm Des. 2021;27(23):2697-2713. doi: 10.2174/1381612826666200226121510. PMID: 32101115. https://www.eurekaselect.com/article/104866
- Kim JN, Oh JJ, Park DS, Hong YK, Yu YD. Influence of Alcohol on Phosphodiesterase 5 inhibitors Use in Middle- to Old-Aged Men: A Comparative Study of Adverse Events. Sex Med. 2019 Dec;7(4):425-432. doi: 10.1016/j.esxm.2019.07.004. Epub 2019 Aug 20. PMID: 31444051; PMCID: PMC6963111. https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S2050116119300935