|Active Ingredient||Sildenafil Citrate|
|Starts In||30 minutes to 1 hour|
|Lasts Long||Up to 4 to 5 hours|
How does Fildena 100 mg Work
Fildena 100 mg belongs to the class of drugs known as PDE 5 inhibitors. It blocks the action of the enzyme PDE 5 (which inhibits blood flow) and improves blood circulation. When a person is sexually stimulated, a chemical known as nitric oxide (NO) is released into the penis.
Nitric Oxide stimulates the production of cGMP by interacting with the haem group of the enzyme soluble guanylate cyclase (sGC). cGMP is responsible for the contraction and dilation of blood vessels.
However, due to the attack of the enzyme PDE 5, cGMP is destroyed. Sildenafil Citrate present in Fildena blocks the action of PDE 5 and allows cGMP to be produced properly. This allows the blood to flow easily to the penis. As cGMP is produced, more and more blood flows to the penis. This creates pressure and leads to an erection.
Fildena 100 mg is used for the treatment of erectile dysfunction (ED) and pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH).
- Erectile Dysfunction (ED) – an inability to achieve or sustain an erection satisfactory enough for sexual intercourse.
- Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH) – a condition that causes high blood pressure in the arteries that go from your heart to your lungs. This leads to the narrowing or blockage of tiny arteries in the lungs.
The recommended dose of Fildena 100mg is one tablet per day. This medicine is taken as and when needed. Follow your doctor’s prescription carefully and do not consume more than one tablet in 24 hours. It should be taken approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour before any sexual activity. The effects of this medicine last for around 4 to 5 hours. However, this may vary depending on certain factors such as age, metabolism, health conditions, etc.
Missed Dose: This medicine is taken as and when required. Therefore, you are less likely to miss a dose. If you are taking this medicine for pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH), take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it’s time for your next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose. Do not take double doses to make up for the missed dose. Talk to your doctor about what happens when a dose is missed.
Overdose: An overdose of this medicine can lead to serious side effects. If an overdose is suspected, seek medical help immediately.
Before you take Fildena 100 mg, let your doctor know:
- If you are allergic to Sildenafil Citrate or any other medications.
- If you have a medical history of stroke, heart attack, or congestive heart failure.
- If you take nitrates for chest pain.
- If you have a physical deformity of the penis or Peyronie’s.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you are under 18 years of age.
- If you suffer from kidney or liver problems.
- If you have a rare inherited eye condition such as retinitis pigmentosa.
- If you suffer from bleeding disorders such as hemophilia.
- If you have blood cell problems like sickle cell anemia.
- If you are undergoing any treatment or recovering through one.
- If you use penis pumps or are taking any treatment for erectile dysfunction.
Fildena Side effects
As with any other medication, there are certain side effects that may occur while taking Fildena 100mg. These include:
- Chest pain
- Muscle aches
- Sensitivity to light
- Back pain
There are some serious side effects that may occur in rare cases. These include:
- Blurred vision
- Ringing in ears
- Priapism (an erection that lasts for more than 4 hours)
- Shortness of breath
- NAION (sudden loss of vision in one or both eyes)
- Sudden decrease or loss of hearing
- Itching or burning during urination
If you suffer from any medical condition, let your doctor know about it. In some cases, doctors may advise not to engage in sexual activities frequently if the person suffers from a heart condition. Doing so may result in a heart attack, stroke, or irregular heartbeat.
If you take any OTC drugs, herbal supplements, or any other medications to treat your existing illness or for any other purposes, let your doctor know about them. The following contains a list of drugs that can interact with Fildena 100 mg and affect the way it works.
- Alpha-blockers such as alfuzosin and doxazosin
- Antifungals such as itraconazole
- Calcium channel blockers such as amlodipine
- Blood thinners such as warfarin
- Antibiotics such as clarithromycin
- Barbiturates such as butalbital
- Beta-blockers such as atenolol and metoprolol
- HIV Protease inhibitors such as ritonavir and indinavir
- Medications for seizures such as carbamazepine
- Other medicines for erectile dysfunction
Discuss potential drug interactions with your doctor in detail.
Interaction of alcohol
Alcohol increases the risk of experiencing side effects. Consumption of alcohol along with this medicine should be avoided at all costs.
Interaction with grapefruit juice
Eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice may increase the levels of this medicine in your blood. It may also delay the absorption of the drug.
Fildena 100 mg tablets should be stored safely in their original packaging.
- Keep the tablets away from direct heat, moisture, and light.
- Store the pills in a cool, dry place.
- If the pack is opened, keep the pills in an airtight container.
- Keep the tablets out of reach of children and pets.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Is Fildena the same as Viagra?
Ans. Both Fildena and Viagra contain the same active ingredient Sildenafil Citrate. While Viagra comes in the form of a blue pill, the latter comes in the form of a purple pill.
2. How long does it take for Fildena 100 mg to take effect?
Ans. It takes anywhere around 30 to 60 minutes for Fildena 100 mg to show its effects. The effects usually last for around 4 to 5 hours.
3. Is it safe to consume this drug?
Ans. Fildena 100 mg is considered safe and effective for the treatment of erectile dysfunction. It should be taken as per the doctor’s prescription.
- Drugs H. Sildenafil: MedlinePlus Drug Information [Internet]. Medlineplus.gov. 2022 [cited 2022 Oct 8]. Available from: https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a699015.html
- Smith BP, Babos M. Sildenafil. [Updated 2022 May 3]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK558978/
- Irwin GM. Erectile Dysfunction. Prim Care. 2019 Jun;46(2):249-255. doi: 10.1016/j.pop.2019.02.006. Epub 2019 Apr 1. PMID: 31030826. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31030826/
- Fink HA, Mac Donald R, Rutks IR, Nelson DB, Wilt TJ. Sildenafil for male erectile dysfunction: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med. 2002 Jun 24;162(12):1349-60. doi: 10.1001/archinte.162.12.1349. PMID: 12076233. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12076233/
- Chew KK, Stuckey BG, Thompson PL. Erectile dysfunction, sildenafil and cardiovascular risk. Med J Aust. 2000 Mar 20;172(6):279-83. Erratum in: Med J Aust 2000 May 15;172(10):511. PMID: 10860094. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10860094/
- Jetter A, Kinzig-Schippers M, Walchner-Bonjean M, Hering U, Bulitta J, Schreiner P, Sörgel F, Fuhr U. Effects of grapefruit juice on the pharmacokinetics of sildenafil. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2002 Jan;71(1):21-9. doi: 10.1067/mcp.2002.121236. PMID: 11823754. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11823754/