|Manufacturer||Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd|
|Active Ingredient||Sildenafil Citrate|
|Starts In||30 minutes to 1 hour|
|Lasts Long||4-5 hours|
How does Edegra 100 mg work?
Edegra 100 mg contains Sildenafil Citrate that belongs to a group of drugs known as PDE 5 inhibitors. It blocks the action of the enzyme PDE 5 (Phosphodiesterase Type 5) and enhances the effects of nitric oxide, thereby improving blood flow to the penis.
When a person is sexually stimulated, a chemical known as nitric oxide is released into the penis. This chemical triggers a chain of reactions. Nitric oxide interacts with the haem group of the enzyme soluble guanylate cyclase (sGC) and stimulates the production of cGMP. cGMP or cyclic guanosine monophosphate regulates the contraction and dilation of blood vessels that carry blood to and from the penis. Edegra stops the enzyme PDE 5 from destroying cGMP and allows the blood to flow properly to the penis. As more and more blood flows to the penis, the pressure is created and the two chambers of the penis (known as corpora cavernosa) get filled with blood. This leads to an erection.
Uses of Edegra 100 mg
Edegra 100 mg is prescribed for the treatment of the following conditions:
- Erectile Dysfunction (ED) – also known as impotence, it makes a man unable to achieve or sustain an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse. It occurs due to a decreased blood flow to the penis caused by physical and psychological problems.
Dosage of Edegra 100 mg
The recommended dose of Edegra 100 mg is one tablet per day. No more than one tablet should be taken in 24 hours. This pill can be taken with or without food. However, for best results, it should be taken on an empty stomach. Take it exactly one hour before anticipated sexual activity. This medicine is taken as and when needed (on-demand dosing schedule). The effects of this pill can be experienced within one hour of its consumption. However, this may vary from person to person depending on age, metabolism, existing health conditions, medications, etc.
Missed Dose: This medicine is taken as and when needed. Therefore, you’re less likely to miss a dose. Make sure that you’re sexually stimulated for this pill to work properly.
Overdose: An overdose of the drug can lead to adverse side-effects. In case of an overdose, seek medical help immediately.
Edegra 100 mg may not be suitable for you if you suffer from any medical condition. Before you take this medicine, let your doctor know:
- If you are allergic to Sildenafil Citrate or any other medications.
- If you have a history of stroke, congestive heart failure, etc.
- If you suffer from blood cell problems such as sickle cell anemia, leukemia, multiple myeloma, etc.
- If you suffer from a kidney or liver disease.
- If you have a physical deformity of the penis or Peyronie’s.
- If you have uncontrolled blood pressure.
- If you suffer from conditions such as diabetes, high blood cholesterol, etc.
- If you have an eye-related condition such as retinitis pigmentosa.
- If you take nitrates for chest pain.
- If you suffer from epilepsy or seizures.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you suffer from ischemic heart disease.
- If you are an alcoholic or have a history of substance abuse.
If you suffer from any medical conditions not listed here, let your doctor know about them. Discuss your medical history in detail with the doctor.
Side-effects of Edegra 100 mg
As with any other medication, there are certain side-effects that can occur while taking Edegra 100 mg tablet. Most of these side-effects are temporary and go away after some time.
Some of the commonly reported side-effects include:
- Bloody and cloudy urine
- Visual disturbances
- Nasal congestion
- Painful urination
- Sensitivity to light
- Burning, numbness, or tingling in the arms and feet
Some rare side-effects of the medication include:
- Chest pain
- Trouble breathing
- Decrease/ loss of hearing
- Decrease/ loss of vision
- Priapism (a prolonged and painful erection of more than 4 hours)
The above list shouldn’t be seen as a complete guide of side-effects. If you experience any other side-effect of the medication, report it to the doctor.
If you take any prescription or non-prescription medications, any vitamins and herbal supplements, let your doctor know about them. Certain medications can interact with Edegra 100 mg and affect the way it works.
- Antibiotics such as clarithromycin
- Oral antifungals such as ketoconazole
- HIV drugs such as ritonavir and indinavir
- Seizure medications such as carbamazepine
- Alpha-blockers such as doxazosin and terazosin
- Beta-blockers such as atenolol
- Imatinib Mesylate
- Blood thinners such as warfarin
- Other medicines for ED
This isn’t a complete list of potential drug interactions. Discuss possible drug interactions with your doctor before starting this medicine.
Interaction with alcohol
Alcohol increases the risk of adverse side-effects and reduces the chances of getting an erection. Drinking alcohol alongside Edegra 100 mg is not advised.
Interaction with grapefruit juice
Grapefruit juice contains furanocoumarins that increase the likelihood of adverse side-effects. It also raises the levels of Edegra in the body and delays the time it takes for the medication to work. Therefore, it should not be consumed while taking Edegra 100 mg.
Edegra 100 mg tablets should be stored safely at room temperature in their original packaging.
- These pills should be kept out of the reach of children and pets.
- Keep the pills away from direct heat, moisture, and sunlight.
- If the pack has expired, do not consume the pills.
- Keep these pills in a cool and dry place.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1 What is Edegra 100?
Ans. Edegra 100 is an oral tablet prescribed for the treatment of erectile dysfunction (also known as impotence) in men. It relaxes the smooth muscles present in the blood vessel walls and increases the blood flow to the penis. This helps men to achieve hard erection.
Q.2 How to take Edegra?
Ans. This medicine is recommended to be taken orally with water. Take one tablet on an empty stomach and exactly one hour before planned sexual intercourse.
Q.3 How long does Edegra last?
Ans. The effects of Edegra usually last for 4-5 hours. However, this may vary from person to person depending on age, metabolism, medications, etc. The effects of this medicine can be experienced within one hour of its consumption. Do not take a heavy meal before taking this medicine as it may slow down the onset of the medication.
Q4. Where to buy Edegra?
Ans. Edegra 100 mg can be easily purchased online from Hisblue at economical prices. You can avail good discounts or get free pills on your purchase.
Q5. Is Edegra safe?
Ans. Yes! This medicine is considered safe and effective for use in ED patients. However, it should be used with caution in patients suffering from kidney or liver diseases. It can also be harmful to patients taking nitrates or blood pressure medications as the interaction can cause a sudden drop in blood pressure, which can be fatal.