|starts In||1-2 hours|
|Last Long||8-10 hours|
|Type||narcolepsy, sleep apnea|
How Modvigil Works
Modvigil 200 mg contains an ingredient Modafinil that promotes wakefulness to the mind. It works by increasing the amount of dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain by reducing the reuptake of dopamine into nerves. Dopamine is a chemical present in the brain that acts as a neurotransmitter and is known as the “feel-good” hormone. It affects our emotions, memory, focus, and the reward center responsible for controlling our habits and routine. Thus, increasing the amount of dopamine results in increased focus and alertness, keeping you awake for a longer duration of time.
This medicine is used by people whose work requires high levels of concentration. It is also known as the “study drug” as it is used by students and creative professionals. For people working in late-night shifts, rotational shifts, and early morning shifts, this medicine helps them stay awake and alert at work without feeling fatigued.
Modvigil 200mg is prescribed for the treatment of the following problems:
- Narcolepsy – a disorder that causes excessive daytime sleepiness, hallucinations, and sleep paralysis.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) – a sleep disorder that causes breathing to stop repeatedly for 10 seconds or more during sleep due to narrow or blocked airways.
- Shift Work Sleep Disorder (SWSD) – a sleep disorder that disturbs the circadian rhythm causing chronic sleep deprivation and insomnia in people working late-night shifts, rotational shifts, and early morning shifts.
A single tablet of Modvigil 200mg is recommended to be taken in 24 hours. Do not consume more than one tablet in 24 hours. Follow your doctor’s prescription carefully and read all the instructions mentioned on the pack of the drug.
- For patients suffering from Narcolepsy, a single tablet is taken daily in the morning, with or without meals, or as directed by your doctor.
- For patients suffering from Obstructive Sleep Apnea, this medicine is taken in the morning with or without food.
- For patients suffering from Shift Work Sleep Disorder, this medicine is taken 1-2 hours prior to the work shift. This helps the medicine to dissolve into the bloodstream completely by the time the work shift starts.
The effects of this medicine are known to last for 8-10 hours. This may vary depending on various factors such as age, metabolism, lifestyles, health conditions, etc.
Missed Dosage: If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible. If it’s time for your next scheduled dose, do not take a double dose or an overdose to make up for the missed dose. Skip the missed dose and take your scheduled dose. If you are planning to sleep, do not take the medicine. Skip it and continue your dose the next day.
Overdose: An overdose of the drug can deteriorate your health and cause severe side effects. Contact your doctor if such a case arises.
Before you take Modvigil 200 mg, tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to Modvigil or any other medications.
- If you have a history of stroke, heart attack, or congestive heart failure.
- If you suffer from diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, angina, etc.
- If you suffer from anxiety, depression, etc.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you have a history of substance abuse.
- If you have a kidney or liver disease.
Common side effects of Modvigil 200 mg include:
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Stomach discomfort
- Dry mouth
- Chest pain
In some rare cases, side effects such as hallucinations, suicidal thoughts, etc. can occur. If you experience any such symptoms, contact your doctor immediately.
If you take any herbal, OTC, recreational, or any other drugs to treat your existing illnesses or for any other purposes, let your doctor know about them. Certain medications are known to interact with Modvigil 200 mg and affect the way it works.
- Hormonal contraceptives
Interaction with alcohol
Alcohol is known to increase the risk of experiencing side-effects. Avoid consuming alcohol along with this medicine.
Modvigil 200 mg tablets should be stored properly and safely in their original packaging.
- Keep the medicines out of reach of children.
- Keep the pills away from heat, light, and moisture.
- Do not consume the medicines past their expiration date.
- Once the pack is opened, store the tablets in an airtight container.
Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is Modvigil 200 used for?
Ans. Modvigil 200 mg is used for the treatment of excessive daytime sleepiness in patients suffering from Narcolepsy, Shift Work Sleep Disorder and Obstructive Sleep Apnea. It contains the ingredient Modafinil which increases the levels of dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain, thereby promoting wakefulness to the mind.
How long does Modvigil last?
Ans. The effects of Modvigil last for 8-10 hours. These may vary depending on factors such as age, metabolism, health conditions, etc.
How should I take Modvigil 200 mg tablets?
Ans. Modvigil 200 mg is recommended to be taken once in 24 hours. It can be taken with or without food. You should not consume more than one tablet in 24 hours.
Can I take this medicine every day?
Ans. The effects of Modvigil last for a period of 8-10 hours. Depending upon the type of treatment that you are undergoing, you can take this medicine daily (but not more than 200 mg). Follow your doctor’s prescription carefully and avoid consuming an overdose of the drug.