How does Zopiclone 7.5 mg Work
Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) is a natural calming chemical released by the body. Zopiclone tablets work by enhancing the activity of GABA molecules to calm your central nervous system. This helps you fall asleep and stay asleep.
Uses of Zopiclone 7.5 mg
Zopiclone 7.5 mg is administered for the short-term treatment of severe insomnia and the following situations as well.
- Early awakening
- Nocturnal awakening
- Insomnia due to psychological problems
- Chronic insomnia
Generally, a single tablet is advised to be taken orally before going to bed. The dosage, however, is determined by the doctor depending on the severity of your situation.
- This medication is intended only for short-term usage up to 4 weeks because of the risk of tolerance that results in ineffectiveness.
- Do not break or crush the tablet. Take it whole with a glass of water.
- Do not increase the dose or prolong the use.
When you miss a dose, skip it altogether and resume the normal schedule from the next day. Do not consume double the dose next to compensate as it may result in severe health impacts.
Taking more than the advised dosage may result in severe health effects. It is advised to call your doctor or emergency services even if you don’t feel the symptoms. You may experience some or most of the following symptoms in case of an overdose:
- Shallow breathing
- Severe drowsiness
- Blurring of vision
- Pale skin
- Loss of consciousness
Like any medication, Zopiclone may not be suitable in certain situations. Inform your doctor of the below-listed conditions to establish the safety of this medication for you.
- If you have or have had an allergic reaction to zopiclone, or any other medication.
- If you have a history of alcohol or drug abuse.
- If you have any liver or kidney disorders.
- If you suffer from any breathing disorders or sleep apnea.
- If you have or have had any psychological ailment.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you have myasthenia gravis, a condition where muscles become weak.
The common side effects experienced by more than one in a hundred people using zopiclone 7.5 mg are as follows.
- Dryness of the mouth
- A bitter and metallic after-taste
- Restlessness during the day
- Unsteadiness in older patients
As your body will adapt to the effects of this medication, these symptoms will resolve on their own. In case they persist or worsen, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Although rare, some people may encounter serious side effects listed below. Contact your doctor or pharmacist immediately if you experience any of these.
- Anaphylactic reaction – skin rash, swelling of the face, mouth, lips, tongue, or throat, wheezing, chest or throat tightness, difficulty breathing.
Interactions With Other Drugs
Inform your doctor about any medications or supplements that you may be taking, whether they are prescription, non-prescription, or herbal. And avoid consuming any additional medication while you are taking zopiclone without notifying your doctor or pharmacist first. This is because Zopiclone 7.5 mg may interact with the following drugs and produce intensified side effects in your body.
- Sodium oxybate
- Morphine sulfate liposome
Interaction with Alcohol
The use of alcohol with zopiclone 7.5 mg should be strictly avoided as it may impact your central nervous system by acting as a strong depressant. In normal terms, it may make you fall asleep where you find it hard to wake up.
Retain the Zopiclone tablets in their original packaging.
- Keep them safely out of reach of children.
- Store them at room temperature.
- They should be protected from moisture, heat, and direct light.
- Do not freeze the tablets.
- Do not consume expired pills and dispose of them properly under your local waste collection department guidelines.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How long do Zopiclone tablets take to work?
Ans. Zopiclone 7.5 mg tablets start working in an hour of consumption.
2. For how long should I take Zopiclone tablets?
Ans. Zopiclone 7.5 mg tablets should be taken for a maximum of four weeks. This is because the body develops tolerance to this medication and won’t be as effective then. Moreover, you may develop dependence with prolonged use. If you do not feel any improvement with its use, discuss with the doctor for alternate treatment options.
3. What is the mode of action of Zopiclone?
Ans. Zopiclone 7.5 mg tablet works by enhancing the action of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). GABA is a naturally occurring chemical in the body that obstructs the transmission of messages across nerves and produces a calming effect. This results in deep sleep with very few to no nocturnal awakening incidences.
4. Is Zopiclone addictive?
Ans. Taking Zopiclone 7.5 mg as recommended by your doctor is unlikely to cause any addictive effect. However, if you use the pills for a longer time than recommended, more than 4 weeks. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist to slowly take you off the pills in case you have been taking them for a longer period.
5. Is sleepwalking a side effect of consuming Zopiclone tablets?
Ans. Sleepwalking is more commonly reported when Zopiclone tablets are taken with alcohol or other psychotropic drugs. Zopiclone alone does not cause such side effects.
6. Can I drive after using Zopiclone tablets?
Ans. Driving or operating heavy machinery is not advised in case you experience drowsiness, sleepiness, blurred vision, or difficulty concentrating during the daytime.
7. Will I feel withdrawal symptoms if I stop using Zopiclone tablets?
Ans. Although it is unlikely to feel withdrawal symptoms if you have been using Zopiclone for less than a month. However, if you have been using it for longer than that, do not abruptly stop taking them. Doing so may result in anxiety, restlessness, mood swings, or heightened sensitivity to light, noise, and touch. Your insomnia may also return more severely than before. Consult your doctor about the effective technique to come off this medication.
8. Can Zopiclone tablets affect the efficiency of my contraceptive pills?
Ans. No, Zopiclone tablets do not interfere with the working of a contraceptive pill.
9. Are Zopiclone tablets safe for use by pregnant or breastfeeding women?
Ans. No. Use of Zopiclone 7.5 mg tablets may harm the fetus and also cause health impacts in newborns. Therefore, it is recommended to avoid the usage of Zopiclone if you are planning on getting pregnant, are pregnant, or breastfeeding.
10. Can I use alcohol with Zopiclone Tablets?
Ans. Using alcohol with Zopiclone tablets is extremely unsafe. The combined sedative effects may put you into a deep sleep which may impact your breathing, and you may find it difficult to wake up.