How does Eszopiclone 2 mg work
Although Eszopiclone is a nonbenzodiazepine drug and is classified under the cyclopyrrolone class of drugs, it acts on the benzodiazepine sites. It works by binding with the gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) receptors and increasing the level of this neurotransmitter in the body. As a result, the CNS activity is inhibited and the consumer feels sedated.
Uses of Eszopiclone 2 mg
It is a prescription drug for the treatment of insomnia. It is safer than most other drugs commonly used to treat insomnia like Zopiclone. It is also the only FDA-approved medication recommended for the long-term treatment of sleeplessness. Therefore, it can be used as a short-term treatment (1-2 weeks) and even for a longer treatment period (upto 6 months).
Eszopiclone tablets are to be taken orally, right before you are about to go to bed or when you’ve unsuccessfully tried to sleep. It is important that you read the label or medication guide well before using it. The prescribed dose suggested by your doctor is the best dose for you because it is decided based on your age, gender, condition, and other factors. However, the general starting dose is one Eszopiclone 1 mg tablet per night, though your doctor may prescribe you the 2 mg tablets based on your need. You should avoid taking this medicine with or just after you’ve taken a heavy meal (high in fat content) because it may disrupt the drug’s activity. One should not take this drug if they do not have 7-8 hours to sleep after taking it. This is because Eszopiclone tends to leave you less alert and diminishes your memory the next day.
Eszopiclone 2 mg is the highest dose for elderly and debilitated patients because they can be highly sensitive to the doses beyond this.
If you are asked by your physician to take a Eszopiclone tablet every night, you should set a particular time for taking it. This will reduce your chances of missing a dose. Never stop the treatment midway because it may cause you withdrawal symptoms (e.g., nausea, dizziness, nervousness, and stomach cramps). However, if you happen to miss a dose, you can take it when you remember but only if you have 7-8 hours to sleep well. If not, skip the missed dose and take the next scheduled dose. Do not take 2 doses at once as this will result in an overdose that can have serious consequences.
Some symptoms of overdose are excessive drowsiness, confusion, and loss of consciousness. If taken too much, Eszopiclone may even induce coma. Therefore, exercise caution while administering this drug. An overdose, depending on its amount, can be mildly to severely dangerous.
You should let your physician know about your health history as it is important in determining whether or not you should take Eszopiclone and how much. Following are a few conditions to look for-
- If you are allergic to Eszopiclone or any other ingredients of this medicine
- If you have suffered from a liver disease in the past
- If you have had any kidney-related diseases
- If your liver doesn’t function normally
- If you suffer from respiratory problems like chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or sleep apnea
- If you are prone to depression, anxiety, or extreme mood swings
- If you or someone in your family has a history of substance abuse
- If you have complex sleep behaviors like sleepwalking or preparing and eating food (the drug may increase such instances and risk the life of the patient)
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding (we don’t know exactly how it affects the fetus or if it passes in the milk, so be cautious)
Additionally, it is not safe for elderly people (beyond 2 mg) and children (at all), so talk to your doctor before you administer the drug to any of them.
Side effects of Eszopiclone 2 mg
Eszopiclone 2 mg oral pills can cause mild to severe side effects. Here are some common ones that go away on their own-
- Dry mouth
- Symptoms of common cold (sneezing, runny nose, etc)
- Unpleasant taste
If you experience any of the following serious side effects, immediately contact your doctor-
- Extreme daytime sleepiness
- You don’t remember doing an activity (like eating, having sex, talking, or driving)
- Feeling depressed, sad, or having suicidal thoughts
- Memory loss
- Severe allergic reaction (symptoms include swelling of your throat and tongue, nausea/ vomiting, and troubled breathing)
- Complex sleep behavior
This is not an exhaustive list, so look out for any other symptom you or the patient might have.
Interaction With Other Drugs
Eszopiclone 2 mg may interact with some other medications and food substances. Therefore, we recommend sharing with your doctor all the information about the drugs (prescription and OTC) that you take, including herbs, vitamins, and supplements. Here is a list of some common interactions but it’s not a complete list-
- Antipsychotics, like haloperidol, olanzapine, and fluphenazine (these drugs may slow your brain function and may even prove fatal)
- Certain antibiotics, like clarithromycin, chloramphenicol, and erythromycin (these drugs increase your risk of facing side effects)
- Drugs to treat heart-related problems, like verapamil and diltiazem (these drugs increase your risk of facing side effects)
- Muscle relaxants, like baclofen, methocarbamol, or cyclobenzaprine (these drugs may slow your brain activity)
- Certain HIV drugs, like atazanavir, darunavir, nelfinavir, and ritonavir (these drugs increase your risk of facing side effects)
- Certain antifungals, like ketoconazole, fluconazole, and itraconazole (these drugs increase your risk of facing side effects)
- Other sleeping pills and tranquilizers
- Medications used to treat narcolepsy, like sodium oxybate
- Antihistamines or anti-allergic drugs, like cetirizine and diphenhydramine
- anticonvulsants, like carbamazepine, phenobarbital, and phenytoin (may reduce the efficiency of the drug)
Interaction With Alcohol
Alcohol has an additive effect when taken with Eszopiclone and may increase the side effects (drowsiness, confusion, and in extreme cases, even death). Therefore, avoid alcoholic beverages. Also, avoid using cannabis or its derivatives.
Follow these storage instructions for keeping the Eszopiclone tablets safe-
- Store the pills in their original packaging close to 77°F (25°C), if possible. You may also keep it at a controlled room temperature between 59°F and 86°F (15°C and 30°C).
- Do not store it in bathroom cabinets but keep it away from light and moisture
- Keep the medicine away from children or pets
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Who should take Eszopiclone 2 mg?
Ans- People having trouble sleeping are prescribed Eszopiclone. The drug decreases the sleep latency time and improves sleep maintenance, thereby giving you a sound sleep.
Q2.What should I know before taking Eszopiclone?
Ans- You must not take it without a doctor’s prescription. If prescribed, take only the recommended dose. Do not increase or decrease the dose without consulting your doctor as doing so may cause severe side effects. Take this pill right before you go to bed and make sure you have 7-8 hours of sleep afterwards.
Q3. I’m unable to sleep even though I’ve been taking Eszopiclone for a few days. Why?
Ans- Rebound insomnia is a common experience with new users. This makes it difficult for you to fall asleep for the first 2-3 days, even though you’ve taken the medicine. Don’t worry, it’ll go away on its own. If it doesn’t contact your doctor.
Q4. How fast does Eszopiclone 2 mg work?
Ans- It takes about 1 hour for the drug to reach its full concentration but it’s rapidly absorbed in the system and begins working within the first few minutes. The steady level of Eszopiclone in blood is reached after about 24-48 hours.
Q5. Is Eszopiclone prone to drug abuse?
Ans- Though it is safer than most other sleeping pills, Eszopiclone has the potential to be abused. It is also addictive, so one should be careful with its use, especially those with a personal or family history of substance abuse.