|Manufacturer||Consern Pharma Limited|
How does Eszopiclone 3 mg Work
While the exact mode of action is not known, it is believed that it interacts with the receptors of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). This interaction works to obstruct the passage of messages to the brain. With stopped stimulation of the brain, it relaxes and helps you fall asleep.
Uses of Eszopiclone 3 mg
Eszopiclone is used in the treatment of insomnia and nocturnal awakening.
The recommended dosage may vary for every individual depending on the signs and symptoms of the condition. The effective dose will be determined by the doctor after taking into account your age, present ailments or medical history, and any other medications or supplements you may be taking.
- Generally, one tablet should be consumed orally just before going to bed.
- Do not crush, chew, or break the tablet.
- Read the leaflet provided by the manufacturer carefully for use.
- Do not increase the dose or prolong the use from the prescribed amount and duration.
- Avoid taking it with or after a high-fat diet.
In case of the missed dose, skip it if you do not wish to sleep for the next 7-8 hours and resume the normal dosage regime from the next day. Do not take two tablets the next day to make up for the missed dose as it may result in adverse effects.
Consuming more than the recommended dose of Eszopiclone may result in severe side effects. The symptoms of overdose are shallow breathing, severe dizziness, and loss of consciousness. Contact emergency services immediately, even if you do not feel the symptoms.
Eszopiclone 3 mg may not be safe for use in certain situations. Notify your doctor if you have or have had any of the below-mentioned conditions so that your dosing schedule can be modified to suit you.
- If you have known allergies to Eszopiclone, or Zopiclone, or any medication.
- If you suffer from any breathing disorders such as sleep apnea or lung issues affecting breathing such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- If you have or have had any kidney or liver disorders.
- If you have or have had mental health issues such as suicidal thoughts or depression.
- Personal or family history of alcohol or drug abuse.
- Any personal or family history of sleepwalking.
- If you have any disorder that causes muscle weakness.
With the use of Eszopiclone, some people may experience some common side effects like,
- Unpleasant after-taste
- Dryness of the mouth
- Clumsiness or unsteadiness
- Drowsiness during the day
These side effects usually go away on their own as your body gets used to the medication. In the case of the persistence or worsening of these symptoms, immediately contact your doctor.
Some serious side effects that are associated with the use of Eszopiclone 3 mg tablets are listed below.
- Onset or worsening of depression.
- Suicidal thoughts
- Aggressive behavior
- Memory loss
- Allergic reaction with swelling of face, throat, or tongue, skin rash, intense dizziness, difficulty in breathing.
- Sleepwalking and performing acts that you may not remember later like talking, driving, having sexual intercourse, cooking, and eating food.
If you feel any of the severe symptoms discontinue the use of tablets and consult your doctor.
Interactions With Other Drugs
Eszopiclone tablets may require cautionary use with some medications. Inform your doctor or pharmacist about the prescription, non-prescription, or herbal medications or supplements that you are using. This helps in the formulation of a safe dosage schedule. The following medications are known to interact with Eszopiclone.
- Calcium, potassium, magnesium, or sodium oxybate
Interaction with Alcohol & Marijuana
Both alcohol and marijuana are sedatives. Using them with Eszopiclone may intensify the dizziness or drowsiness effect. It may make you fall into a deep sleep where you may find it difficult to wake up.
Store the Eszopiclone tablets in their original packaging at room temperature.
- Do not store them near the sources of light and moisture.
- Keep them safely out of the reach of children.
- Do not drain the expired tablets, dispose of them properly as per the instructions of the local waste collection department. Do not consume expired tablets.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Is Eszopiclone 3 mg safe for use?
Ans. Eszopiclone 3 mg is a high-dose medication. It is usually prescribed after you have tried lower doses and did not find relief. But it is safe for use provided you follow the instructions of your doctor for its usage. With a higher dose the risk of experiencing dizziness and drowsiness the next day increases.
2. Can I get addicted to Eszopiclone tablets?
Ans. If you use Eszopiclone for a prolonged period, there is a risk of getting addicted to it. This risk is even higher when you have a personal or family history of substance abuse. Do not self-medicate with this drug, follow your doctor’s instructions for the amount and duration of use.
3. Are Eszopiclone tablets safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women?
Ans. Eszopiclone 3 mg tablets are not recommended to be used in pregnant and breastfeeding women. There are no adequate human studies available to establish their safety for use. However, animal studies show negative impacts on the fetus.
4. What would happen if I stop taking Eszopiclone?
Ans. You may experience withdrawal symptoms by suddenly stopping the use of Eszopiclone tablets. Nervousness, shaking, nausea, flushing of the skin, vomiting, stomach cramps are commonly experienced withdrawal symptoms. However, withdrawal is more likely to happen when you have been using these tablets for a long time.
5. What is rebound insomnia?
Ans. Rebound insomnia is experienced when you discontinue the use of Eszopiclone tablets. You may have trouble falling asleep for a few nights. This is normal and usually gets better after two nights. In case you feel it for a longer period, contact your doctor.
6. Can Eszopiclone affect the ability to drive?
Ans. Yes. The dizziness and drowsiness effects of the Eszopiclone tablets may be felt the next day as well. Therefore, it is recommended to avoid pursuing activities that require alertness such as driving, operating heavy machinery.
7. How does Eszopiclone affect older people?
Ans. Adults belonging to the age group of more than 65 years may experience more side effects such as dizziness, excess sleepiness, confusion, and unsteadiness. Usually, the older age group is prescribed lower doses of Eszopiclone.
8. Can the use of Eszopiclone cause sleepwalking?
Ans. Yes. Although it is a rare side effect, some people have reported it. The use of Eszopiclone has resulted in some people getting out of bed and performing acts that they do not remember when they were awake. It may be extremely dangerous to you and those around you, therefore, report it immediately to your doctor.