|Starts In||30-60 minutes|
|Lasts Long||4 to 5 hours|
How does Vilitra 20 mg Work
Cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP) plays a crucial role in achieving an erection because it increases the vasodilation of the penile muscles, increasing the blood flow. However, PDE-5 is an enzyme that is known to break down cGMP and cause a weak erection. Vardenafil (the active ingredient of Vilitra) stops the activity of the PDE-5 enzyme by mimicking cGMP. It is structurally so similar to cGMP that the PDE-5 enzyme binds to Vardenafil instead of cGMP. An increase in cGMP concentration in the blood will increase the blood circulation in the penis and help you get/ retain a firm erection during sex.
However, it is important to know that cGMP is activated only when NO (nitric oxide) is released in the corpus cavernosum- the erectile tissue in the penis. And NO is released only as a response to sufficient sexual stimulation. Therefore, Vilitra 20 mg will not work in the absence of sexual stimulation.
Uses of Vilitra 20 mg
Vilitra 20 mg is generally prescribed for the treatment of the early stage of erectile dysfunction. It helps you gain and maintain an erection during copulation.
If you plan on taking it occasionally, as per your need- taking a pill half an hour to an hour before having sex is recommended. If you are taking it on your doctor’s advice, take the medicine as per their instructions (usually it’s 1 pill/ day). Don’t take more than the recommended dosage that is, one tablet a day, unless stated otherwise by your physician.
You should avoid taking the pill more than four hours prior to having sex because its potency starts reducing after that. Also, you can have it with or without food but the latter is better as Vilitra works faster without food.
You can rule out this option if you take it on a need basis. However, for those who are to take it daily, it is possible to have missed a dose. In such a condition, you should take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But if you’re so late that the time for your next dose is due soon, you should skip the missed dose and only take the next one. Never take 2 pills within the span of 24 hours without consulting your physician.
Research has shown the highest tolerable vardenafil dose to be about 80 mg. But it is strongly recommended that you refrain from overdosing on Vilitra 20 mg. Side effects like nausea, dizziness, and myalgia, which are usually rare and of low intensity may get more intense because of an overdose. It may also cause severe back pain. So, you must contact your doctor if you have somehow taken more than the usual dose.
Vilitra 20 mg may be harmful to people with certain health conditions, so let your doctor know if you have any of these problems-
- If you have had an allergic reaction to vardenafil or any other medicine
- If you have abnormal vision or you suffer from retinitis pigmentosa.
- If you suffer from low or high blood pressure.
- If you are epileptic or have had seizures.
- If you have contracted ischemic heart disease or have suffered heart attack/ stroke.
- If you have high cholesterol.
- If you have Peyronie’s disease, that is, a physically deformed penis.
- If you suffer from blood cancer or sickle-cell anemia or any other blood-related condition.
- If you are pregnant (the fact that it is not intended for women and the lack of proper research make it dangerous).
Some common side effects of vardenafil that usually go away on their own are-
- Myalgia (abnormal vision)
- Loose motion/ diarrhea
Other rare and often severe side effects may include-
- Chest pain or palpitations
- Non-arteritic Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy-NAION (loss of vision)
- Sudden deafness or a ringing sound in the ears
- Difficulty in breathing
- Back pain
- Priapism (a painful erection that lasts for more than four hours)
In case you are suffering from any of these side effects (or some other symptom not mentioned here), you should immediately see a doctor.
Interaction With Other Drugs
Let your physician know about all the medications you regularly or sometimes take. Some medicines (like those listed below) might negatively interact with Vilitra 20 mg.
- Warfarin and other anticoagulants
- Medicines prescribed for seizures such as carbamazepine
- Indinavir and ritonavir (HIV Protease inhibitors)
- Oral antifungals like ketoconazole
- Other medicines for erectile dysfunction
Interaction With Alcohol
Although taking a little alcohol while under the effect of Vilitra will not affect you, consuming more alcohol can make you dizzy. This is because alcohol will enhance the blood pressure-lowering effect of the drug. So, do not take much alcohol with it.
Interaction with grapefruit juice
The CYP3A4 enzyme, which is present in grapes, degrades vardenafil in the liver. It will slow down the action of Vilitra 20 mg, so you should avoid grape juice.
Storing these pills in their original packaging is recommended. Also, ensure the following conditions-
- Keep it at 59–86° F or 15–30° C (or room temperature).
- The place should be away from sunlight and moisture.
- Make sure that it is not easily accessible to children or pets.
- Don’t use the tablets past their expiry date.
- Dispose of the discarded pills or package properly. You may talk to your pharmacist or contact anyone from the medicine take-back program.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How long does the effect of Vilitra 20 mg last?
Ans- Usually, it should last for about 4 or 5 hours but the exact time is dependent on factors like your metabolism, health condition, age, etc.
2. Is Vilitra 20 mg better than Levitra?
Ans- Both contain the same active ingredient- Vardenafil and have the same effect. But Vilitra is a generic version of Levitra and thus, is cheaper.
3. Is Vilitra 20 mg dangerous for health?
Ans- Like all drugs, it has certain side effects. But as long as you follow your doctor’s advice and don’t overdose on it, the side effects will be minimal. Additionally, it is unsafe for women, especially pregnant women.
4. When does Vilitra not work?
Ans- If you are not sexually stimulated, the pill will fail to give any result.