Being conscious about your penis size is not uncommon. Most men wonder if they are big enough and keep searching for ways to increase the girth and the length of the penis. A survey shows that only 55 percent of men are pleased with their penile length. Men usually turn to the internet to find a solution for increasing their length and girth. Penis-lengthening exercises are the most common searched solution as they are the most economical.
Jelqing or Penis-Stretching Exercise is done to supposedly give your penis an engorged look. This happens through the creation of micro-tears in the penile tissue as a result of massaging and stretching your penis. The claims for the consistent jelqing practice are that it can improve the girth & length of your penis and delay your erection time.
But the important question is – Does Jelqing really work? Scientific evidence does not support this claim. There are insufficient studies that can vouch for the benefits of this exercise as alleged. It may work temporarily to give an engorged look, though the expert authorities recommend against its practice as it can damage the tissues when carried out with too much force.
Before we delve deeper into the nitty-gritty of this technique, here’s what you should know about the normal penis.
- The penis is as unique as the individual and comes in different shapes and sizes.
- The average length of a flaccid penis is 3.6 inches and when erected it goes up to 5.2 inches. The average girth of a penis on erection is 4.6 inches.
- These are the average values of many individuals from all over the world. The values above and below these would also be normal.
What Should You Know About Jelqing?
Jelqing is a series of penis enlargement stretches that involves putting pressure on the penis and pulling it. It is assumed to be an ancient technique used to enhance the length and girth of the organ. It is believed that this procedure increases the flow of blood to the penis, familiarizing it to allow more blood flow during erection. Moreover, the pressure applied also generates minute rips in the tissue of the organ which makes it engorged temporarily due to the natural repair process.
When people ask how to jelq for best results, there are certain steps you need to carefully follow and some points you need to take care of.
Jelqing Warm Up
Warm-up is an extremely important step before you start the actual exercise. You can warm up your penis by:
- Applying a washcloth that has been dipped in warm water.
- Taking a bath with warm water.
Be careful of the temperature you are exposing your penile tissue to. Excess heat can cause damage to the tissues.
After the warm-up, it is recommended to apply a water-based lubricant to prevent any distress due to friction. Oil-based lubricants should be avoided as they can result in infection by clogging the pores
How to Jelq?
There are many different ways of jelqing but the basic steps to follow are listed below:
- Make an okay sign with your hand by joining your thumb and index finger to create an O shape.
- Place this O-shaped formation at the base of your penis.
- Move your hand towards the tip of your penis while gently applying the pressure to decrease the diameter of the O.
- In case you experience pain, reduce the pressure to a more bearable level.
- When you reach the tip of your penis, lose your grip, and repeat the process with the other hand.
- It should take you around 3-4 seconds to reach from base to tip.
- Repeat these steps for 5 minutes, in the beginning, gradually increasing the time to a maximum of 20 minutes per session.
- Start with doing it twice or thrice per week, and slowly raise the frequency to a maximum of 5 times per week.
- The success of this exercise is dependent on the correct grip. It is important to sustain consistent pressure during the penile stretching exercise. Do not increase or decrease the pressure during the process.
- Experiment with what works for you, the type of grip and the pressure may vary from person to person.
Types of Jelqing
One-hand Jelq: This technique uses one hand to perform the jelqing instead of both.
Wet Jelqing: This method uses lubricants to provide an easy glide during the exercise.
Dry Jelqing: Some men benefit by performing the jelqs without any lubricant because they retain the blood in the penis better this way.
V-jelq: This type of jelqing is for the girth enhancement of the penis. During this procedure, the palm should face you with the penis held between the index finger and middle finger.
Lateral Jelq: This method is used for lowering the penile curvature. The massage and stretching are carried out in a direction opposite to the curvature.
The results usually take a long, up to 6 months in some, to appear. Some men claim to see the difference within 1-2 weeks. The results vary in different individuals as the technique and frequency vary. There is no clear evidence of the exact timeline.
You should stop performing the exercise if you experience:
- Itchiness in penile tissue
- The appearance of red spots
- The feeling of numbness/tingling
- Rupture of a vein
Jelqing: How to Avoid Adverse Effects?
Jelqing is a safe exercise to perform provided
- you are not applying too much pressure,
- You are not doing it too frequently or aggressively.
Doing it vigorously can cause damage to penile tissue or ligaments that connect the organ to pelvic muscles. Any serious damage can permanently impact your reproductive organs and affect your ability to get an erection or sustain it. It can also cause:
- Irritation of skin due to rubbing and stretching
- Scarring of the tissue
- Erectile Dysfunction
There are certain precautions that you can take whether you are using jelqing for length increase or girth enhancement.
- Use lube – this helps to avoid excess tears due to friction and chafing. Commonly used lubricants are vaseline, baby oil, non-fragrance lotion, coconut oil, or olive oil.
- Do not perform it when you are fully erect. This exercise should be done when you are halfway there so that you can stimulate the blood flow with your hand.
- Discontinue the exercise if you experience any pain or discomfort.
- Do it when you are sitting, or lean against a wall to perform it.
- You can perform it a maximum of twice a day. Do not exceed the frequency to avoid injury to the penile tissue.
- Discuss with your doctor in case you want to increase the frequency.
What Else Can Work?
- Traction Device
- This device basically stretches your penis and holds it in the stretched position for a certain amount of time (4-6 hours). The penis is inserted through one end of the device and secured properly with your pelvic area.
- Studies show that these techniques are more helpful for penises with physical deformities rather than aiding a normal penis to gain length or girth.
- Penis Pump
- This technique involves positioning your penis in a long syringe-like tube that contains air, and then a pump removes the air completely. This suction action stimulates the flow of blood to the penile tissue and makes your penis erect. Then a clamp is placed at the base of your penis to sustain the erection for some time.
- Penile Implant
- Penile implant devices are added to increase the girth and length of the penis. Silicon sleeves are inserted inside the shaft. Read more about surgical solutions here – How to Make Your Penis Bigger?
- Other Exercises
- General exercises, pelvic floor exercises improve the blood circulation directed towards the pelvic region. Therefore, they may help enhance your erection.
Apart from the exercises, in case you have any underlying condition that is impacting your ability to achieve or maintain an erection, there are many clinical options available. Consult a doctor to get a proper diagnosis and treatment. Many medications help with erectile dysfunction such as Viagra 50 mg tablets or Cialis (Tadalafil) 5 mg tablets.
Exercises work to improve blood circulation and help with maintaining an erection. The proof for the effectiveness of jelqing hasn’t been established yet. Many people claim how it has benefitted them, but the penis stretching before and after scenario varies greatly among people. The results aren’t significant and may take a long time to be visible.
More often the men are conscious about their penis length and girth even when it is normal. The thing that needs to be tackled is the unnecessary stress and unrealistic expectations. In case of psychological issues, discuss your queries with your doctor. If you feel your penis size is smaller, get the final diagnosis from a doctor before trying anything that may cause you harm.
- Lever, J., Frederick, D. A., & Peplau, L. A. (2006). Does size matter? Men’s and women’s views on penis size across the lifespan. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 7(3), 129–143. https://doi.org/10.1037/1524-918.104.22.168
- Veale, D., Miles, S., Bramley, S., Muir, G. and Hodsoll, J. (2015), Nomograms for flaccid/erect penis length and circumference. BJU Int, 115: 978-986. https://doi.org/10.1111/bju.13010
- Chung E, Brock G. Penile traction therapy and Peyronie’s disease: a state of art review of the current literature. Ther Adv Urol. 2013;5(1):59-65. doi:10.1177/1756287212454932 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3547530/