|Type||Anti Nausea and Acid Reflux|
How does Motilium work?
Motilium is a prokinetic that works on the part of the brain that controls actions such as vomiting. It contains Domperidone that blocks the chemical messenger in the brain which is responsible for inducing nausea and vomiting. It blocks receptors such as dopamine and serotonin to prevent vomiting. It increases the movement and mobility of food in the stomach, intestine, and upper gastrointestinal tract in general to aid the movement of food. This also reduces the time in which the stomach empties itself.
Any discomfort in the stomach and especially its upper part can lead to problems such as bloating, pain, or feelings of nausea or fullness. By increasing the movement in your upper intestinal tract, Motilium helps in the digestion of food. Thus, it relieves the user of the symptoms of indigestion.
Uses of Motilium 10 mg
Motilium 10 mg is primarily used to treat the symptoms of indigestion. The following are a list of the symptoms which can be treated by Motilium and how it can be used:
- Treatment of nausea
- Reduces vomiting
- Increases movement of food through the stomach
- Relieves bloating and discomfort
Motilium oral tablets should not exceed the dosage of 30 mg per day. The dosage generally, for adults, is thrice a day for 10 mg tablets. They should preferably be taken one hour before mealtime. The dosage may be altered by the doctor depending upon your individual circumstances and how you respond to the treatment. Also, inform your physician about any other medication you may be taking, as that may also influence the dosage.
Overdose: Prolonged or excessive consumption of Motilium may lead to:
- Drowsiness and confusion
- Lack of movement control
- Heart attack
- Heart palpitations or irregular heartbeat
Side effects of Motilium 10 mg
All medications come with a list of possible side effects. However, there is no confirmation that a person will experience any of these side effects. More often than not, the side effects are mild and infrequent. In case you notice any of the mentioned side effects, remain calm and consult a healthcare professional as soon as possible if deemed necessary.
Some side effects of using Motilium are:
- Dizziness (avoid driving or engaging in any activity that requires concentration)
- Diarrhea and dehydration if enough fluids are not consumed
- Difficulty sleeping
- Nervousness or anxiety
- Irritable feelings
- Feelings of drowsiness or sleepiness
- Seizures or fits
- Excessive thirst
- Nausea and fluctuations in appetite
- Itchiness or rash
In case the patient is breastfeeding, consult a physician on whether to continue using the medication. Studies have suggested that Motilium cannot be passed on through breastmilk and is therefore safe to use during breastfeeding. However, it is recommended that a healthcare official be informed about any plans of breastfeeding.
There are certain precautions that must be taken before using Motilium. Practice caution under the following circumstances:
- As Motilium may lead to a reduced awareness of your surroundings or even make you dizzy, it is best to avoid driving or taking on any strenuous activity after using the medicine.
- Patients with kidney diseases must exercise caution when using Motilium. Consult your physician regarding any changes in the dosage of the medicine.
- Patients with liver disease must also consult their doctor before using this medicine. There may be changes made in the dosage depending upon the individual’s circumstance. Generally, this medicine is not recommended to patients with liver disease.
- Patients with Parkinson’s must also inform the doctor beforehand about their condition and any medication they might already be taking.
- Avoid medications that help treat stomach acid or reduce stomach acid a few hours after using Motilium as stomach acid is used by the body to absorb Motilium.
Interactions with Other Drugs
Do not take Motilium 10 mg if you are taking medications that contain the following ingredients:
- Posaconazole (used to treat fungal infections)
- Ritonavir or saquinavir (used for HIV treatment)
- Telaprevir (used to treat hepatitis C)
- Diltiazem and Verapamil (used to treat high blood pressure and chest pain)
- Dextromethorphan or diphenhydramine (anticholinergic drugs)
- Nefazodone (antidepressant)
- Dopaminergic agonists
- Store it away from heat and light.
- Keep it away from the reach of children.
- Keep the medicine at room temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. How fast does Motilium work?
Ans. Motilium should take around half an hour to one hour to start working. The medicine should be taken for seven days generally. The symptoms should disappear after three to four days.
Q2. Can Motilium prevent acid reflux?
Ans. Domperidone, the primary ingredient in Motilium, can prevent gastroesophageal reflux, making sure that the contents of the stomach do not come back up through the esophagus.
Q3. Can I take Motilium during pregnancy?
Ans. Consult your physician before taking Motilium in case you are pregnant, as Domperidone is not recommended to patients who are pregnant or are going to be pregnant.
Q4. When should I take Motilium tablets?
Ans. Take this medicine on an empty stomach every day, preferably during the same time frame each day.