|Type||Asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)|
How does Levolin work?
As a bronchodilator, Levolin 50 mcg inhaler eases breathing by relaxing the muscles of pulmonary airways and widens them. When taken before the trigger exposure, it prevents the start of an asthma attack. In COPD, this medication helps in keeping the airways of the lungs open and eases breathing difficulties.
Uses of Levolin Inhaler
The Levolin 50 mcg Inhaler helps in relieving breathing issues, coughing, wheezing, and tightness in the chest related to the conditions listed below:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
The dose that would be beneficial for relief from your symptoms depends on the type of condition you have and its severity.
- Press down the inhaler once to release medication while breathing in from the mouth.
- Hold your breath for 10 seconds.
- Repeat the process till you inhale the advised puffs by the doctor.
- Then, rinse your mouth with water thoroughly.
- The usual recommended dose is 2 inhalations at a gap of 4 to 6 hours.
Note: Do not take more than the amount recommended. Use in excess amounts is linked with fatal reactions.
You can skip the dose if you have missed it, and continue with your normal dosage schedule. Do not take double the dose to make up for missed one.
Overdosing with Levolin 50 mcg inhaler can be fatal. The symptoms of overdose are – headache, nervousness, tremor, dryness of mouth, fatigue, palpitations, nausea, dizziness, seizures, hypertension or hypotension, tachycardia, angina, and cardiac arrest. It is recommended to adhere to the advised dosage, and in case you accidentally overdose, seek medical assistance without delay.
Inform your doctor or pharmacist, in case you have any of the conditions listed below.
- Any known allergy to levosalbutamol or other ingredients of Levolin.
- Have any present issue or medical history of diseases of the liver or kidney.
- Have diabetes
- Are pregnant, or get pregnant during the treatment.
- Suffer from hyperthyroidism.
- Have seizures
- Have or have had any cardiovascular disease.
- Suffer from hypertension
- Have stomach ulcers.
Take care of the following while you are on the treatment of Levolin Inhaler:
- Avoid using any other medication without consulting your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not smoke, and avoid passive smoke as well, because the efficiency of these medications gets reduced with smoking.
- Bronchodilators can increase blood sugar levels, so monitor your sugar levels regularly if you suffer from diabetes and are using Levolin Inhaler.
- If you suffer from any heart condition, it is recommended that you have regular ECG and blood pressure checks done to ensure that medication doesn’t cause any adverse effects.
- Hypokalaemia patients, or those who are vulnerable to it, should get regular blood potassium level tests done.
The below-listed common side effects are associated with the use of Levolin and resolve on their own as your body adjusts to the medication.
- Dryness of throat
- Irregular heartbeat
- Stuffy nose
- Muscle tightness
In case you feel any of these symptoms persist for a longer duration or worsen over time, contact your doctor.
Note: If you feel inflammation in the airways or pharynx, and a fever, contact your doctor immediately.
Interactions With Other Drugs
Inform your doctor or pharmacist about all the medications, whether prescription or over-the-counter, that you are taking to rule out any chances of cross
-reactions with Levolin.
Levolin inhaler should be stored in a cool, dry location away from direct sunlight, and temperature should not exceed more than 30 degrees Celsius.
- Store it away from the reach of children.
- Do not freeze the medication.
- Do not use an expired product, Dispose of it safely.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What is Levolin 50 mcg inhaler used for?
Levolin 50 mcg inhaler is administered for the management of symptoms associated with asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). It helps in alleviating breathing difficulty, coughing, wheezing, and tightness in the chest.
Q2. How does a Levolin 50 mcg inhaler work?
Levolin 50 mcg inhaler is a bronchodilator that widens the airways by relaxing the muscles. Widened airways ease breathing and also provide relief from the tightness of the chest.
Q3. When should I use a Levolin 50 mcg inhaler to get effective results?
The Levolin 50 mcg inhaler should be used as and when required. For management of asthma, it should be taken in circumstances where you would encounter the triggers. For management of COPD, take as directed by your doctor.
Q4. Is it safe to drink alcohol while using the Levolin 50 mcg inhaler?
No. A combination of alcohol and Levolin may result in excessive drowsiness. Therefore, it is recommended to avoid drinking alcohol till the end of your treatment.
Q5. Is Levolin safe for use during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
- It is recommended to consult your doctor if you are planning to become pregnant or get pregnant during the treatment as Levolin 50 mcg may not be safe for use in pregnancy. Animal studies have shown that levosalbutamol may result in birth defects in the fetus.
- There is limited data available to establish whether Levolin is safe for breastfeeding women. Therefore, it is recommended to consult your doctor for advice on usage.
Q6. Does the use of a Levolin 50 mcg inhaler affect the driving ability?
It may not be safe for you to drive or operate heavy machinery after using the Levolin 50 mcg inhaler as it may result in shakiness, drowsiness, and irregular heartbeat.
Q7. Is Levolin 50 mcg safe for use in diabetic patients?
Levolin inhalers should be used with caution in diabetic patients as bronchodilators are known to elevate blood sugar levels. Regular monitoring of blood sugar levels may help in keeping the adverse effects in check.
Q8. Does smoking affect the working of Levolin 50 mcg inhaler?
Yes. Smoke reduces the efficiency of the Levolin 50 mcg inhaler. Therefore, it is recommended to quit smoking and avoid passive smoke as well.
Q9. How can the excess dose of Levolin inhaler affect me?
Overdose of Levolin 50 mcg inhaler may result in serious side effects. You may feel nervousness, headache, dryness of mouth, nausea, fatigue, chest pain, and seizures. A very high dose may cause fast, irregular heartbeat, unconsciousness, or even cardiac arrest. Seek immediate medical attention if you feel any discomfort.
Q10. Can I use Levolin 50 mcg inhaler with a heart disorder?
Yes. Use of Levolin 50 mcg is considered safe. However, its use should be analyzed by the doctor according to the severity of your condition. You may be required to undergo regular ECG and blood pressure checks to monitor your cardiovascular health. In case you feel any discomfort, contact your doctor.
Q11. I started feeling headache and dryness of the mouth after using Levolin 50 mcg inhaler. Is it normal, and do I need to see a doctor about it?
Yes, headaches and dry mouth are common side effects of a Levolin 50 mcg inhaler. The symptoms usually resolve on their own. Staying hydrated, and taking proper rest to ease the headache. In case your symptoms do not get better within a week, contact your doctor.