How Does It Work?
Fincar is a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor that contains Finasteride. It blocks the action of the enzyme 5-alpha reductase, thereby promoting hair regrowth. The action of 5-alpha reductase helps convert the male sex hormone testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is known to bind with the receptors of the hair follicles, causing them to lose their strength and shrink. As a result, the hair’s natural growth cycle is disturbed, resulting in hair loss.
Furthermore, the size of the prostate also increases. Fincar 5 mg stops the action of 5-alpha reductase and decreases the amount of DHT in the body. It also helps to prevent the conversion of testosterone into DHT. This leads to increased hair regrowth and a decreased prostate size.
It is prescribed for the treatment of the following diseases:
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) – an age-associated prostate gland enlargement condition that is non-cancerous and results in urination difficulty.
Androgenetic Alopecia – a condition that causes hair loss in men and ultimately leads to baldness.
Dosage of Fincar tablet
It is recommended to be taken once daily. This medicine can be taken with or without food.
- For patients suffering from Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), the effects can be experienced in 6 months.
- For patients suffering from Androgenetic Alopecia, the effects can be experienced within the first 3-4 months. However, the full effects of this medication can take anywhere around 6-9 months to appear.
The effects may vary depending on factors such as age, metabolism, health conditions, etc.
Missed Dosage: If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible. If it’s time for your next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose. Do not double dose to make up for the missed dose. Make sure that you follow a daily dosage as hair loss occurs again when you stop taking the medication.
Overdose: Overdosing can deteriorate your health and lead to serious side effects. If problems persist for a long period, contact your doctor immediately.
Before you take Fincar 5 mg, let your doctor know:
- If you are allergic to Finasteride, Dutasteride, or any other medications.
- If you have prostate cancer.
- If you have stricture of the urethra.
- If you have a bladder muscle disorder.
- If you have urination problems.
- If you have kidney or liver disease or abnormal liver enzyme tests.
Side Effects of Fincar 5 mg
Common side effects include:
- Runny nose
- Loss of sexual desire
- Abnormal ejaculation
- Breast tenderness
- Swelling in hands or feet
- Pain in testicles
- Rapid weight gain
- Abdominal pain
Contact your doctor immediately if you experience any side effects for an extended period.
Certain drugs can interact with Fincar 5 mg and alter how it works. If you take any herbal, OTC, recreational, or other drugs to treat your health condition or for other purposes, let your doctor know about them.
- Blood thinners such as warfarin
- Beta-blockers such as atenolol and propranolol
- Antipyrine (phenazone)
- Calcium channel blockers such as diltiazem
- Oral antifungals such as itraconazole and ketoconazole
- Medicines for respiratory diseases such as theophylline
- St. John’s Wort
- Cardiac glycosides such as digoxin
- HIV Protease inhibitors such as nelfinavir
Interaction with alcohol
Interaction with alcohol has not been studied. Talk to your doctor about potential interactions.
- Keep the medicines out of reach of children.
- Keep the pills away from direct heat, moisture, and sunlight.
- Once the pack is opened, store the pills in an airtight container.
- Do not consume the pills past their expiration date.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Can I drink alcohol with Fincar 5mg?
Ans. There isn’t any clinical evidence available for the interaction between alcohol and Fincar. However, it is recommended to talk to your doctor about potential interactions.
Q. Fincar vs Finasteride – what’s the difference?
Ans. Fincar is the brand name of the medication Finasteride. Both Fincar and generic Finasteride work in a similar manner and contain the same vital ingredient. The best part – Fincar is relatively cheaper than the brand available in the market i.e. Propecia.
Q. Should Finasteride be taken at night?
Ans. You can take Finasteride at any time of the day. However, make sure that you take it at the same time every day to increase its effectiveness.
Q. Do I need to take Fincar every day?
Ans. Yes! A single tablet of Fincar 5 mg should be taken once daily. It can take around 3-4 months for the results to appear.
Q. Does Finasteride thicken hair?
Ans. Finasteride has been known to significantly increase hair weight and quality, making hair grow stronger, thicker, and faster than before. Many users have reported hair regrowth and an increase in thickness.
Q. Do I have to use Minoxidil with Fincar?
Ans. Minoxidil helps to slow hair loss by increasing blood flow and providing nutrients to the hair follicles. On the other hand, it provides hair regrowth and improves hair thickness. The combination of both these medicines has been known to be more effective for hair preservation than using either of them alone.
Q. Is 5mg of Finasteride too much?
Ans. Finasteride comes in two doses, 1 mg, and 5 mg. Depending upon your condition, your doctor will prescribe a suitable dose of the medicine. A dose of Finasteride 5mg isn’t much and is considered safe when taken within the prescribed limit i.e. 1 tablet per day. Moreover, most doctors consider a 1 mg dose to be sufficient. Follow your doctor’s prescription, and do not overdose.
- Zito PM, Bistas KG, Syed K. Finasteride. [Updated 2022 May 8]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK513329/
- Mysore V, Shashikumar BM. Guidelines on the use of Finasteride in androgenetic alopecia. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol. 2016 Mar-Apr;82(2):128-34. DOI: 10.4103/0378-6323.177432. PMID: 26924401. https://ijdvl.com/guidelines-on-the-use-of-finasteride-in-androgenetic-alopecia/
- Gupta AK, Venkataraman M, Talukder M, Bamimore MA. Finasteride for hair loss: a review. J Dermatolog Treat. 2022 Jun;33(4):1938-1946. DOI: 10.1080/09546634.2021.1959506. Epub 2021 Aug 2. PMID: 34291720. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09546634.2021.1959506?journalCode=ijdt20
- Tackling J, Fink HA, Macdonald R, Rutks I, Wilt TJ. Finasteride for benign prostatic hyperplasia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010 Oct 6;2010(10):CD006015. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD006015.pub3. PMID: 20927745; PMCID: PMC8908761.
- Chen L, Zhang J, Wang L, Wang H, Chen B. The Efficacy and Safety of Finasteride Combined with Topical Minoxidil for Androgenetic Alopecia: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2020 Jun;44(3):962-970. doi: 10.1007/s00266-020-01621-5. Epub 2020 Mar 12. PMID: 32166351.