|Type||High Blood Cholesterol|
How does Atorva 40 mg Work
Atorva 40 mg tablets contain atorvastatin as the active ingredient which is HMG-CoA (3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoenzymeA) reductase inhibitor. HMG-CoA-reductase is essential for the production of VLDL cholesterol in the liver. Atorva 40 mg binds to the LDL receptors of the hepatic cells which increases the uptake of LDL and its breakdown. The overall action of Atorva lowers the levels of LDL cholesterol, and triglycerides, and increases the good cholesterol – HDL.
Uses of Atorva 40 mg
Atorva 40 tablets are prescribed for:
- Reduction of High Cholesterol.
- Treatment of Hyperlipidemia & Hypertriglyceridemia.
- Management of Type 3 Hyperlipoproteinemia.
- Prevention of Cardiovascular Diseases & Stroke.
The dosage will be advised by the doctor after examining the severity of your condition and your overall health status.
- Generally, it is advised to be taken once at any time during the day.
- Swallow the tablet whole, do not break or crush it.
- It can be taken with or without food but should be taken consistently at a fixed time.
In case you miss a dose, it is recommended to take one as soon as you remember. Take care not to take two doses within 12 hours as it may impact your health adversely.
Taking more than the recommended dose may result in serious consequences impacting your health. In case you experience breathing difficulties or loss of consciousness, seek medical assistance.
The use of Atorva 40 mg tablets may require caution in certain cases listed below. Some health conditions may affect the efficacy of Atorva 40 mg, heighten the side effects observed with the use of Atorva, or worsen the symptoms of a health condition. Inform your doctor of any health ailments, or their history that may be concerning.
- If you are allergic to atorvastatin or any other medication.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you have hypothyroidism.
- If you suffer from diabetes and are taking any anti-diabetic medications.
- If you have a present condition or medical history of any muscle disorder.
- If you have or have had any liver or kidney disorder.
- If you have a history of alcohol abuse.
The use of Atorva 40 mg may result in certain side effects which usually settle on their own as your body adjusts to the medication. However, if they stay for long or seem concerning, consult your doctor.
- Abdominal pain
- Chest pain
- Joint pain
- Peripheral edema
Few people may experience some serious side effects listed below. In such cases, it is advised to contact your doctor for medical advice.
- Mild issues with memory and confusion.
- Increase in blood sugar levels.
- Symptoms of problems in muscles – muscle pain, tenderness in muscles, and muscular weakness. It may lead to serious complications like rhabdomyolysis or autoimmune myopathy.
- Any change in urinary output.
- Signs of liver disorder – jaundice, severe abdominal pain, darkening of urine, nausea, or vomiting.
- Hypersensitivity reaction – hives, rash, itching, swelling of face, throat, or tongue, trouble breathing, severe dizziness.
Interactions With Other Drugs
Drug interactions refer to conditions wherein a drug may affect the performance of another when used together or increase the likelihood of the occurrence of the side effects. Notify your pharmacist or doctor about the medications you may be taking, whether prescription, nonprescription, multivitamins, or herbal. Your dosage will be adjusted to accommodate other medications.
- Glecaprevir with Pibrentasvir
- Azole antifungals
Interaction with Alcohol
Alcohol should be used with caution when on the Atorva treatment regime as it may result in some adverse effects. It is recommended to contact your doctor for further advice.
Interaction with Other Foods
Red yeast rice products should be avoided with Atorva tablets as they contain another statin – Lovastatin. When taken together, the chances of you developing serious liver and muscle problems increases.
Keep the Atorva tablets in their original packaging and store them at a temperature less than 30 degrees celsius.
- Keep them safe and out of reach of children and pets.
- Store them protected from moisture and heat.
- Dispose of the expired tablets safely under your local waste collection department’s guidelines, do not consume them.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How can Atorva 40 mg tablets help control cholesterol in the body?
- Cholesterol is a fatty substance that is present in the body and can build up in the walls of the blood vessels. Their accumulation narrows the blood vessels and obstructs the flow of blood to certain parts of the body, resulting in stroke or heart problems. Atorva 40 mg tablets are statins that block the action of certain enzymes and bind to some receptors that facilitate the breakdown of bad cholesterol. This helps in the prevention of heart diseases and stroke.
2. Is Atorva safe for use in pregnant and breastfeeding women?
- Atorva tablets are not safe for use in pregnant and breastfeeding women. Studies have shown serious damages to the developing fetus. And in the case of breastfeeding, the drug passes onto the breast milk and causes toxicity in the baby.
3. Will the use of Atorva tablets affect my ability to drive?
- No, Atorva 40 mg tablets are not known to interfere with the ability to drive or perform any task involving heavy machinery.
4. Would Atorva 40 mg tablets impact my muscles?
- Use of Atorva 40 mg tablets may result in muscle damage or injury. This happens as the oxygen supply lowers and makes the muscles ache, get tender, or weak. Do not wait for the symptoms to disappear if you feel any discomfort related to the muscles.
5. Is the Atorva tablet safe for use if I have diabetes?
- Atorva 40 mg tablets may increase blood sugar levels. You might be required to regularly monitor your blood sugar levels. It is recommended to consult your doctor before using this medication.
6. Is it okay to stop taking Atorva medication if I feel okay?
- The treatment with Atorva 40 mg tablets may continue for the long term, or as described by the doctor. The benefits of these medications can only be experienced till the time you are using them. Once you stop using it, your blood cholesterol level may rise again. Do not discontinue the medication without consulting your doctor,
7. Can Atorva 40 mg tablet help in weight loss?
- There are no reports that Atorva 40 mg may help in the reduction of weight. In case you feel your weight is decreasing, consult your doctor,
8. Is tiredness a common side effect associated with the use of Atorva 40 mg tablets?
- Yes. The exact mechanism of how this medication causes tiredness is not known yet, however, it reduces the blood flow to the muscles worsening tiredness.