|Active Ingredient||Desogestrel & Ethinyl Estradiol|
How does Novelon work?
The Novelon tablets contain a combination of a progestogen (Desogestrel) and an estrogen (Ethinyl Estradiol) that interact with the ovulation process to prohibit the association of egg and sperm. These tablets prevent pregnancy in the following ways:
- The ingredients of these hormonal medications stop the release of an egg.
- It also alters the free movement of the sperm.
- Moreover, it stops the uterine lining from growing, making it incompetent to support the attachment and development of the fetus.
Uses of Novelon Tablet
Novelon pills are effective in their treatment when taken properly. These hormonal medications work for the following conditions:
- Prevention of pregnancy
- Treatment of Dysmenorrhea – irregular and painful periods
Take the medication as advised by your doctor. One pack of medication contains a strip of 21 tablets. You are required to take one tablet daily with or without food, but ensure that you take it around the same time every day.
- The tablets are labeled with the days of the week. Make sure you follow the pattern on the strip and take it once every day for 21 days.
- After 21 days, you need to wait for 7 days before starting with a new pack.
- During these 7 days of gap week, you will experience bleeding which usually starts on the second or third day.
If you miss a dose of Novelon tablets and it has been less than 12 hours since your last dose, take one pill to enjoy the protection against the pregnancy. In case you remember you missed your dose after the 12-hour gap, do not consume the tablet and continue with the treatment from the next day onwards. However, it is recommended to use a condom as an additional contraceptive for the next 2 days, from the day of the missed dose, to prevent pregnancy.
You may feel nausea or vomiting on an overdose of Novelon Tablet. Some women also complain of vaginal bleeding. If you have overdosed, contact your doctor for guidance.
Inform your doctor before the use of these tablets in case you have any of the following listed conditions.
- Allergies to Desogestrel or Ethinyl Estradiol or any other ingredient of the tablets.
- You have any current or previous conditions of thrombosis (blood clots in the circulatory system).
- Suffer from sickle cell anemia.
- Have any disorders related to the pancreas or liver.
- Have any present, or history of presence, of breast cancer or cancer of reproductive organs.
- Have or have ever had any problems with cardiovascular health.
- Suffer from severe migraine.
- Have any undiagnosed cases of vaginal bleeding.
- Suffer from varicose veins.
- Have epilepsy.
- Have hypertriglyceridemia.
Note: If you get pregnant during treatment with these medications, stop their use immediately and contact your doctor for assistance.
In case you experience any of the below-listed, seek immediate treatment.
- Hypersensitivity reaction to the medication.
- Breathing difficulties
- Changes in vision or hearing.
- Swelling in limbs, with or without pain.
- Severe headache.
- Chest pain.
- Yellowing of skin or eyes.
- Development of blood clots.
- Discharge from vagina or breasts.
- Vaginal infection.
- Worsening Depression.
The common side effects experienced during the use of Novelon tablets are as follows. Usually, these symptoms get better on their own after a while and do not require medical attention.
- Mood swings
- Breast pain and tenderness
- Amenorrhea (no bleeding) or metrorrhagia (spotting)
- Weight gain
- Increase in blood pressure
- Abdominal pain
If any of these symptoms persist for a longer duration or seem concerning to you, contact your doctor immediately.
Interactions With Other Drugs
Some medications are not meant to be consumed together as they may alter each other’s effects, or intensify each other’s side effects. Novelon is known to interact with some medications listed below, therefore, it is recommended to inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are using any prescription or supplemental medications.
- Tranexamic Acid
- Guar Gum
- St. John’s Wort
Interaction with Alcohol
Use of alcohol with this medication is advised with caution. It is advised to consult your doctor for further details in case you consume alcohol while on this medication.
Interaction with Caffeine & Grapefruit Juice
Novelon tablets may interact with caffeine and grapefruit juice, and increase the risk of side effects.
Novelon tablets should be stored in a cool and dry place away from moisture & sunlight, in their original packaging.
- Keep the pills away from the reach of children.
- Once the pack is opened, store it in an airtight container.
- Don’t consume the tablets past their expiry date, and dispose of them safely.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What is the use of the Novelon tablet?
Novelon tablets are hormonal contraceptive pills that contain estrogen and progesterone which helps in the prevention of pregnancy by stopping ovulation, hampering the movement of sperm, and making the uterine environment unfavorable for the fetus. These tablets are also administered for the treatment of dysmenorrhea.
Q2. What is the recommended dosage of Novelon and how should it be taken?
The course of treatment with Novelon tablets can be started on any day but should be continued by following the marking on the strip for days of the week. These tablets are well-tolerated on an empty stomach as well. For the most proficient results, make sure to take the tablets every day at about the same time. The treatment course consists of 21 pills for 21 days after which you will have a gap week of no medication. After the seven-day gap, you should continue with a new pack.
Q3. If I vomit after taking the tablet, what should I do?
If you consume the tablet and vomit within three to four hours, the dose is considered to be missed. You would be required to consume another tablet once you feel better to continue the contraceptive protection.
Q4. Can breastfeeding women use Novelon?
Novelon tablets are not considered suitable for breastfeeding women. This medication can pass on to the baby through breast milk and cause adverse effects.
Q5. Is it okay to miss periods while using a Novelon tablet?
- A missed period is a known side effect, however, you need to consult your doctor and confirm that you are not pregnant. If the pills are not taken regularly at a fixed time, the chances of getting pregnant increase.
Q6. Is it normal to experience vaginal bleeding when using this tablet?
Break-through bleeding for the first 2-3 months is common as your body is adjusting to the medication. In case you feel concerned about the amount of bleeding, seek medical guidance from your doctor.
Q7. Can Novelon pills cause any contradictions with any other ailments?
Yes, this medication should be used with caution in people suffering from disorders of the liver, pancreas, cardiovascular system, thrombosis, epilepsy, sickle cell anemia, and cancer of reproductive organs.
Q8. Is it okay to smoke with the regular use of a Novelon tablet?
No. Smoking increases the risk of thrombosis, or clotting of blood in arteries or veins of limbs or pulmonary organs, therefore, it is advised to stop smoking while you are using these tablets.